Posted by: Anon | 2012-09-06

Pain in shoulder and back ?

Hello Doctor. I had severe pain in my left neck/shoulder area about a year ago. I igonored it. It got so bad that one day my pointing finger nail went numb but that got better and I never had a problem with that finger again. Now, my pain is so much better, but when I turn my head to the left and backwards slightly to a certain angle, I can feel it kind of pulls down the whole inside of my left arm and feels painful and funny. If I sit for too long with my head tilted or bent slightly backwards my whole hand goes numb and I cannot feel it. If I move from that position after a few seconds it is fine. This is all in the very top of my neck and shoulder. Another problem I have is when I palpate a certain bone that comes out of my lower spine it is very sore (about a 1cm spot), it feels like a bruise but it is not as I have had it for AGES. I DO NOT HAVE OR HAVE NEVER HAD problems with my LOWER back. What is wrong with me ?? What do I have to have done to check the problem ?? What happens now after I ignored it for so long ??

It is clear that you are suffering from nerve impinchment, where there are irritation of the nerves that supply your arm with sensation. It can merely be due to severe muscle spasm, causing pressure on the nerves or due to a boney growth that is excerting pressure on the nerves. You will have to consult an orthopaedic surgeon or a neurosurgeon for an examination and possible MRI scan of your neck. In the interim, you can use Myprodol capsules in combination with Robaxin 750mg tablets.

Treatment will depend on the diagnosis and I think that the specialist will start with physiotherapy and exercises. In extreme cases, the specialist might perform an operation to free the nerve.