Question

Pain in Shoulder

I am male, 53 years old
About 8 months ago I started having a small pain in my right shoulder, and could not bend my arm up behind my back. Doctor gave me some anti inflamitories, and over tiem I learned to live with teh lack of mobility - hoping it will eventually just get better.

About a week ago the pain started to increase. The last three nights I have not been able to sleep as there is no position in which I can place my arm that the pain decreases. Pain suddenly starts in teh evening and remains all night, but during the day it is a lot less while I walk about.

Yesterday went to Doctor and sent for xrays and ultra sound. Xrays were clear with no problems, but ultrasound found " There is a subtle tiny tear of the right supraspinatus tendon approximately 2 cm from its attachment to the greater tuberosity" 

Docto gave me a quarterzone and painkillers. All feels a lot better today.

Question : What is probability that the tear will heal by itself ?
Is an operation likely ?
What should I be doing / avoiding ?

I enjoy running and a bit of golf.

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Anonymous,
a "small subtle tear " should not cause the degree of intense pain you are experiencing- it sounds like something else: Typically the most painful conditions around the shoulder in a person of your age are:
-calcific tendinitis
-frozen shoulder
-make sure there is no tumour
-referred pain from the neck

Have a look at our website: www.shoulderinstitute.co.za and specificallyat the above-mentioned conditions. I would suggest that you see a spcecialist to verify the diagnosis
Regards,

Dr Joe de Beer

1

Further to the above - The pain returned after one day. The first night was pain free, but since then the pain is unbearable at night, and non-existant during the day.