Question
Posted by: ZP | 2010-04-09

Pain in my side

I have started just running &  try to get in at least 30 mins ± 3 times a week as per me previous post 130. However, after 15 minutes of running I have been experiencing a stabbing pain on my right side just under the lowest 2 ribs. Am I correct in saying that this is due to being unfit? Is it best to stop or should I push through it?

Also, is it necessary to let your body rest on alternate days when running (as with a heavy weight routine) or can I push my body to exercise everyday to condition it quicker.

Hi ZP

That's quite common, especially when you start out. It's probably caused by a cramp or spasm of the muscles that control how you breathe. The way to treat it is to breathe deeply and not as rapidly as you might be breathing. So slow down, slow your breathing and relax, try to imagine the air filling your lungs all the way to the bottom as you breathe in.

To answer the second one, you can go every day, but you also need to rest. So it's not vital to rest every other day, but I would recommend a rest every third day, and as you get fitter, every fourth day, or once a week. That rest day is really important, but it doesn't have to be every day.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-04-30

Hi ZP

Reply to fitnessdoc