Question
Posted by: Grace | 2008/09/29

Pain in my chest!

I get a pain in the left side of my chest. I recently went to my doctor for a medical for Insurance and he did not say anything about my heart. I' m very worried, as the pain is getting worse when I lay down. It feels like somebody has put something heavy on my chest. It does not effect my breathing at all. It' s actually more irritating that sore.
I do suffer from High blood pressure, but on my recent visit to my doctor he was happy. I use tables for it. I am also overweight and not very active. I’ m worried that it could be my heart although the pain is on the left and not on the right. Is there any other reason why is would have this pain?

Dear Grace
Heart pain is usually a pressing pain brought on by exertion and it gets better when you rest. This could be a chest wall pain if it is worsened by changing position or it could be a problem in the underlying lung or pleura. All chest pains should be examined thoroughly, and ECG, physical examination and if needed Lung x/ray is usually indicated. Did you tell your doctor about the pain?
(Heart Pain is usually central, can spread to the left arm or jaw area.)