Posted by: 20H09 | 2009-02-06

pain in lower abdomen

20H09. Hi. I have a pinching sort of pain in my lower left abdomen, almost in the groin but a bit higher. There is also a similar pain higher, also on the left, just below my waist. Both of these pains disappear at times and both can vary from being just there to needing painkillers or antispasmodics. I have had them for several months. They seem to be related to flatulence i.e. get worse then milder as I pass wind and I am also more aware of them during a bowel movement. On the other hand, I also notice them more when my bladder is full. I have noticed that often I pass urine, then a bowel movement, then the rest of the urine which seemed unable to pass before the bowel movement. Sometimes I seem a bit constipated- this is also a new thing- and it sometimes feels as if my bowel hasn' t emptied as well as it used to. Also i am aware of a weakness in my pelvic floor- a slight ache and heaviness. Sometimes when I jump or sneeze, or haven' t emptied my bladder for awhile, it leaks a little.Also in the past cople of months I have either thrush or some other vaginal infection because there is slight discharge and sometimes rawness when i wash there. I have also had a bladder infection in this time. I am 58, have no uterus anymore and only one ovary, do not use HRT. Apart from all this and of course hot flushes, I am fine. Is this all normal at my age?

Thank you for visiting

I strongly recommend that you consult a gastroenterologist, to exclude irritable bowel syndrome or colon polyps. You should also consult a urologist to assess your bladder. Do keagle exercises twice daily to strengthen your pelvic floor.