Posted by: Inflamed - Scapula | 2009-07-21

Pain in Left Shoulder, etc

I am a female and 32 years of age.

For the last seven weeks or so I have had pain around my left scapula which is leading into my left arm, particularly around the left elbow. The pain is also on my left side around my breast area and even just above my left breast.

I had been exercising (as I rarely do). I was working my pectorals and tri-ceps &  bi-ceps with basic exercises (not with any equipment). It could be that hurt myself by overdoing the exercise.

I can move my left arm freely but I am constantly aware of the pain.

About the end of June, I visited a pharmacist when the pain became too much and she gave me Spasmed (24 Tablets) and Panamor-At 50mg (15 tablets).
These tablets really did not help (the pain still persisted) but I completed the course.

Around 8 July, I visited a GP, who said that it seemed like I strained a muscle.
He said that the pain in my arm was because of the nerves that are connected and affected.
The GP prescribed Coxflam 15 –  Meloxicam 15mg (10 tablets –  1 per day) and Stilpane (30 tablets –  2 per day every eight hours –  I took two per day only in the morning).

I feel these helped because I did find some relief.

The Coxflam has been completed and the pain is now still there. The Stilpane is not much help.

I am rubbing Deep Heat on the affected area and at home I try to sit in front of the heater which does cause the pain to subside a bit.

What should I do?

Can I go back to the pharmacist and buy another anti-inflammatory?

Please advise.

Dear Inflamed
Rather see a physiotherapist - you may need some physical therapy. It sounds as if a nerve may be pinching and you may need some traction therapy