Posted by: Debbie | 2011-04-15

pain in hand

I am a woman of 47 yrs going through menopause since age of 40.....started getting pain in both hands but right seems worse than left (has been going on for about 4 months).....numbness &  pain sometimes in arm and side of hand as well and it also seems to effect my fingersl. Also when getting up in the morning my ankles are really stiff.but after walking a few steps they seem to loosen up. Also how many mg''s of calcium should I be taking/day - at the moment I take 500 and then drink milk, eat yoghurt &  cheese daily.

Many thanks for your help.

I suggest that you consult your doctor for an x-ray of both hands and elbows, as well blood tests in order to diagnose your condition.

Your normal intake of calcium should be 1200 mg per day. I think that your intake and supplementation with food, is more than sufficient.