Posted by: buda | 2008-11-11

Pain in hamstrings

I' m experincing pain &  stiffness in my hamstrings after a 82km cycle race I did 2 days prior(I started cramping up on the race with about 15km to go but completed).I' m reasonably cycling fit and have been doing approx 50km per week cycling for the last month and a bit less prior.What can I do to ease the pain as I can' t really walk freely eg.when going up steps I' m finding it difficult.

Hi Buda

It may not necessarily be a problem, because the symptom is a carry-over from race day, and it can take up to 72 hours to recover 100%. So you need to monitor yourself and see what happens. If the pain does NOT subside, then it may be that you've strained the muscle, rather than simply over-exerted and experienced cramp. If that's the case, then a week or so should be sufficient. I suspect that by the time you get this, it will have stopped being a problem and you'll be walking fine and can start cycling again without a problem.