Posted by: pain in earlobe | 2009-02-10

Pain in earlobe

I have had my ears pierced probably about 30 years ago and am now 32 years old. For the past month I have noticed a sticky pus coming out of my right ear (where the piercing is). I have been cleaning it with surgical spirits for the past 2 nights and it burns terribly.

Could there be a reason for this or should I just stop wearing earrings for a while. The earings I wear are gold (can I suddenly be allergic).

Your opinion will be appreciated.

Dear Pain in earlobe
It sounds as if you have a bit of infection in the piercing. This can be caused by the "butterfly" you use - if it is goldplated and the plating is wearing off the underlying nickle can cause an allergy. Use only 9 carat gold earrings and 9 carat gold butterflies. Put Bactroban ointment on the earlobe front and back and keep on cleaning with surgical spirits. Do not stop putting your earrings in as the hole may grow closed due to the infection