Posted by: Yasmeen | 2009-07-20

Pain in coxyx after spinning

Hi. I have been spinning for a while now but have recently upped my tempo. I did this gradually from 8km to 10 then 15 and now 30. I noticed a distinct pressure discomfort on what I think is my coxyx. This usually happens after cycling but minimises by the next morning. If I squeeze my buttock muscles I can feel the discomfort. Should I be concerned or is this just possible the muscles being used when cycling. This discomfort does not affect me much or limit me from doing any other activities including my pilates moves.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Yasmeen
It could be that the seat of the spinning cycle puts pressure on the coccyx - if possible change to a cycle with a bigger or more padded seat. It may cause inflammation in the coccyx area over the long term if you do not try to prevent it.