Posted by: Sarah | 2009-10-12

Pain in chest/sternum

Dear Doc, I am a 35year old female. Good health with no chronic conditions. Sometime during last night I woke up with a pain in the centre of my chest, flacking out slightly to both sides of my chest (beneath the breastbone/sternum - upper trunk) It is really painful when I take a deep breath in &  exhale " deep"  &  also when I straighten up & /or give an " involantary"  cough. Even tho it does not feel like indigestion/heartburn - I' ve taken some Eno &  a Rennie to see if this will help but so far it' s had no positive effect on me. Should I be concerned?

Hallo Sarah
Pain in the centre of the chest can be caused by acid burning the esophagus, esophagus spasm, or lung infections or even inflammation of the ribs where they join the breast bone. If it feels like a pressing pain ( weight on the chest) and you feel sweaty and nauseous you need to have your heart checked immediately.
dr Bets