Question
Posted by: Anel | 2009-04-07

Pain in calf

Hi, I' ve had a pain in my right calf for a week now. The pain goes to my ankle and then my ankle becomes numb. I went to the Dr, who said I must go for a Doppler, because it can be a DVT. I did a lot of walking and did a lot of heavy lifting before the pain started. I haven' t been able to go for the Doppler today, but I' m just wondering - Can it really be a DVT. My whole leg up to my back is aching now. This can' t be consistant with a DVT? It would remain in the calf? I tried anti-inflammatories and it did not work. I feels more like a strained muscle. The leg is not swollen or red. What else can I do? If it is a strained muscle, how long will it take to heal?

Dear Anel
A deep vein trombosis can cause the whole leg to ache, but this could also be due to a pinched nerve in the lower back. Measure your calves at the same level - if the sore one is bigger and if you can't pull up your toes towards you without pain, one should go for the Doppler to exclude DVT. DVT can be dangerous as it can cause a clot in your lung, which can be fatal. If the doppler is negative, you may need to see a physiotherapist.