Question
Posted by: Inpain | 2009-06-25

Pain iin left arm and Shoulder

Since about the start of the second week of June 2009, I have been experiencing pain in my left arm (predominately from the left upper arm to the elbow) and left shoulder around the scapula.

Sometimes the pain spreads to the back of my neck and yesterday it was quite severe at base of my neck and top-middle back and seemed to go across to the right shoulder.

I can still move my left arm freely but I am constantly aware of the pain.

I woke up a couple of weeks ago with pain in my left upper arm (which seemed more severe than usual) and I thought it was because I slept on my left side and shrugged off the pain.
Simultaneously, around that time I was also exercising (not with any equipment). I was working my pectorals and tri-ceps &  bi-ceps with basic exercises. It could be that hurt myself by overdoing the exercise.

I visited a pharmacist when the pain became too much and she gave me Spasmed (24 Tablets) and Panamor-At 50mg (15 tablets).

These tablets really did not help (the pain still persisted) and I have completed the course.

I am rubbing Deep Heat on the affected area but it really does not help either.

What could be the problem?

Do I need to see a chiropractor?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Inpain,

when considering the pain you are experiencing the origin can be due to one of a few causes. I am not sure how old you are as different conditions around the shoulder occur more commonly at specific ages. Do have a look at our website :www.shoulderinstitute.co.za and them at "Shoulder Pain" - there you will see an explanation of this concept. Rotator cuff problems such as calcific tendinitis can cause pain llike you are describing but a problem of the cervical vertebrae can cause similiar pain distribution. You will have to be examined and probably need an X-ray to determine the diagnosis and appropriate treatment can then be started.

All the best,

Dr Joe de Beer