Posted by: Samantha | 2009-01-22

Pain between shoulderblades

I am 43 years old andI wake up every morning with intense pain between my shoulderblades and down the top part of my spine. It feels like I have been " bent"  in a wrong position that I am waking up from. I have started to use an orthopedic pillow but the pain is still there every morning. I also have pain in my wrists (especially the left one) and my muscles seem to be sore and stiff for no reason (no heavy exercise) I am also at times very exhausted.

What could cause the pain? - please advise.
Thank you.

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

DEar Samantha,

the combination of pain in the upper back, other joints, stiffness and tiredness must be evaluated by a rheumatologist to exclude a problem like a generalised arthritis

All the best,

Dr Joe de Beer