Posted by: EG | 2009-03-02

Pain below ribs

For the past week I have had a '  stitch'  kind of pain (sometimes a bit burny) below my ribs in the left upper abdomen. It'  s not too prominent during the day but is quite uncomfortable in bed at night, often waking me up when I move or turn over. It then feels like something is ' stretching'  and I have to move around to get relief. I have no other symptoms and bowel movements are normal. I can'  t feel any lumps or bumps but I am quite overweight.. Do I need to see a dr? I don'  t recall straining any muscles.
Hope you can help. EG.

Dear EG
It could be a referred pain from a gastritis ( stomach lining inflammation) or a nerve pinching in your back - especially if it is only at night. Rather let your doctor look