Pain behind ear

I get intermittent pain behind my right ear. It does not happen all the time and it is not something that I can determine the cause of. I could be sitting watching TV when I get this throbbing pain behind my right ear. I could also be lying down. It also happens when I am sitting and working. It happens for a few minutes and then subsides. I have seen my GP and he was not able to help. Who can I see about this? It becomes quite nasty.

Hallo anonymous
Earache does not always just come from the ear, but can also be due to referred pain from adjacent structures. Pain from the ear itself may result from a pressure gradient between the middle ear and outside air, from local inflammation, or both. Referred pain can result from disorders in areas innervated by cranial nerves responsible for sensation in the external and middle ear (5th, 9th, and 10th). Specific areas include the nose, sinuses, throat, teeth, gums, temporomandibular joint (TMJ), jaw, parotid glands, tongue, trachea, and esophagus. Please ask your doctor to refer you to an ENT specialist for a full examination.