Question

Pain and discomfort in my joints

Dear Doctor,
I have a problem with my joints. I walk a lot (at least 2 hours a day) and stand a lot because of my work, and when I' m not walking or standing, I usually sit leaning slightly on my back against the back of my bed and read before sleeping. I thought that was okay, but everyday after 5pm or so I start feeling intense pain in my hip joints. It' s constant pain mixed with more intense pain that happens every few minutes and feels like a needle going through the bone. And at the end of the day, my hips and my whole legs hurt and feel extremely tired. I' m worried because I' m only 24. I' m a woman, I' m thin (right on the line between healthy weight and underweight) and I try to eat foods that give me the right amounts of calcium etc. What is causing this problem? I also get pain in my neck very often, so I wonder if one of my legs is slightly shorter than the other and is causing some inbalance in my whole body. Or are these symptoms normal, considering that I walk a lot? The symtoms are not new (I have them for years) but people older than me told me yesterday that they don' t feel any of these.

Dear Anonymous
These symptoms are not normal, you may have a disc pressing on nerves in your lower back or you may have bursitis (inflammation) in the hip joints. Please let your doctor have a look to see if you need x/rays of your back or blood tests to confirm inflammation