Posted by: karin | 2011-05-07

Pain after miscarriage, what is normal?

Hi Doctor,
Sorry I just posted, but the subject did not show on the post so not sure if it can be read. So here is it again. I lost my baby about 36 hours ago. I was 7 weeks pregnant. I had a scan about 12 hours ago and it showed that all tissue passed but that there were still some blood clots. Bleeding decreased after the miscarriage and pain also got less, however, now the pain is getting more severe and instead of cramping more like toothache kindoff pain, also feeling bloated now - tummy is swollen and it was not before. Bleeding also increased quite a bit... going through a pad very 2 hours about. (was just spotting after the MC) Just want to know if all this is normal? Pain just before MC was about a 5. Just after about a 2 and now about a 6 or 7 out of 10... Thanks very much!

In light of your severe pain and bleeding after your unfortunate miscarriage, you should consult a doctor as soon as possible, as it is possible that there are still pregnancy products left in the uterus. This might be the cuase for your symptoms. Your doctor will then decide if he/she wants to do an evacuation procedure.