Posted by: Manley | 2012-05-18

pain after exercise

I''ve done an intensive exercise programme, with a trainer, over the past 4 weeks. I started off very unfit, and can clearly feel how my fitness has increased, which is great. Some days are much tougher than others, but all in all I''m enjoying it. However, last night, after particularly tough cardio exercises, it was the second night during the 3 weeks that I slept very badly because I had pain in my legs throughout the night. It''s not the muscles that are sore, but it feels as if it pains almost in the marrow of my bones. I thus feel very tired and miserable, which is not the effect I would''ve liked with the programme. This is the second time it happens, both of them after particularly tough exercises. Can you please tell me why I experience this discomfort and whether there is something I can do about it?

Hi Manley

That sounds typical of the kind of inflammation that happens with intense exercise. If you repeat that stress too often without allowing the body a chance to recover, the result is that you get chronic pain, that feels deep in the joints. It's not too dissimilar to arthritis, though of course a very different origin.

So it's those tough sessions tht cause it, as you've diagnozed, so you just need to back down from that level and train slightly easier and then you'll stay below that line. Your body will adapt, in the same way that you have adapted to the training so far, and in time, the level that you need to stay below will rise, and you'll be able to get away with more. It's just a case of raising the ceiling over time.

There's no short cut, nothing you can take, except pull back on the intensity, particularly if you're doing heavy weight work, because that's what really causes the deep muscle soreness you're feeling.