Question
Posted by: moms daughter | 2009-07-30

Pain after back fusion

I' m worried about my mom, aged 64yr...She had a back fusion I think it was on level L5-S1? almost 1 yr ago....The dr said that they waited to long so her nerve had some damage and she will not get the full function of her toes and heel back....What worries me is that although she is able to walk, with some limping (mainly in the right leg) she still gets terrible pain in her knee and toes of her 1 leg. She also gets spasms in her leg and started getting spasms in her right hand-|-well...Is this pain normal, will it ever go away totally...She is still active and was VERY active before the operation...Thanx

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

It sounds as if she is still getting referred pain due to the nerve damage. I suggest she goes back to the surgeon who did her operation for some advice. One can deal better with these spasms etc if you know exactly what causes them and whether there is something that can be done.