Posted by: Sybil | 2011-03-26

I am 60 and in relatively good health although not fit as I should be. Working on it carefully mostly with walking and stretching. Been working on it for a year. Last three months and with increasing frequency I get what feel like sharp muscle spasms various places in back, cramps in feet when swimming and when rising in morning and some other times, always wake up stiff in back and legs every day, frequent sciatica type symptoms- aching stiffness all the way from right buttock to foot, pain down the side of my spine when I put chin on chest, pain in arms and shoulders when raising them as in hairdrying, ache in hips, in knees that comes and goes. Have had thoracic xrays, bone scan and blood test- no reason for pain. I live for physiotherapy because it relieves the pain, but should I see a neurologist? What could be wrong? I don''t want to live on painkillers.

You can consult a chiropractor for treatment but if this does not alleviate your pain within 4 weeks, you can consult a neurologist. I also suggest that you supplement your diet with Magnesium, as well as increase your fluid intake to at least 2 litres of water per day.

Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011-03-28

Hallo Sybil
What blood tests did you have? It sounds as if the symptoms are caused by muscle spasms which could be due to fibromyalgia, calcium and/or magnesium deficiency, or auto-immune diseases.