Question
Posted by: anxious | 2010-01-15

PAIN

Hi Dr Burger

Whenever I stand for periods of longer than 10 mins or lean forward I get excruciating pain in my left side (kidney area) and in the back a bit. I am convinced its muscular-type pain. After I had my left nephrectomy in Sept 2004 my urologist said that that pain is normal because its the muscles etc. " knitting!"  back together. I have heard that it can take years for muscles to recover from major surgery, but this long?!

Thanks for the help.

Complications after a nephrectomy are vast and some complications can last a lifetime. Fibrosis/scar tissue that forms after the nephrectomy can cause pain. Maybe an abdominal CT scan can shed light or surgery to explore the area can be performed in order to shed some light.