Posted by: Sasha | 2009-03-30

Hi doc. I' ve got this bad habbit of harming myself. If I feel bad about myself, i cut myself. I' ll do anything to cause myself pain. When my body is in pain, its as if i cant feel the emotional pain. I' ll even burn myself. Do you think i need help? Of is this something that will go away in time?

Check out the achivs of this forum, as I've often discussed self-cutting / self-mutilation. It's a very bad habit,as you know, and if it brings any relief at all, it's very temporary relief --- or you'd never need to do it more than once. Absolutely you do need help, to find better ways not only to not need to feel such emotional pain, but also to have better ways to cope with it when it arises. Even if it did go away after some year,s, you'd be left with unpleasant scars, and would still not be skilled at avoiding and coping with such stresss when they arise, as they do in everyone's life

Posted by: Liza | 2009-03-30

Cutting yourself is the result of an underlying mental problem. This will not simply go away with time. Only professional therapy and medication will improve the problem. Please seek help from a psychiatrist or psychologist ASAP. Even if you cannot afford to get private help, you definitely need to make a plan - even if you spend a whole day at a public clinic or hospital waiting. Before going, call the clinic or hospital to find out on which days they offer the mental health clinic. This is usually not every day and you don' t want to waste your time going when it won' t help.

Good Luck!

Reply to Liza