Question
Posted by: Nic | 2012/04/25

Packing on the pounds....slowly but surely

Hello doctor, I haven''t read the other posts but I am sure my answer is in there somewhere, sorry if you have heard this question a 1000 times. I am now 36 yrs old and noticed about a year ago, I have an extra tyre around my waist line. I am not extremely overweight but I am not very happy about how I look at the moment. I am 1.62m and I weigh about 65kgs at the moment with most of my weight being on my arms and in the area from belly button to my thighs. I still have good muscle tone from previous years of exercise. I would like to drop about 5-7kgs, but not too sure how too. I hardly eat during the day (only 1 toasted sandwich at about 1pm in the afternoon, which I make from brown bread either with tomato, onion and / or egg - that is kind of my staple diet besides 2 cups of coffee in the morning with 1tsp of sugar, I nibble on my kids food during cooking it at night but hardly sit down to a good meal. I have at least 3 glasses white wine at night (or red). I do NO exercise, but plan to start brisk walking tomorrow of about half an hour 4 x per week (I want to exercise more to actually feel better, but still lose weight if it will help). What am I doing wrong and how can I lose this weight ? Will the walking benefit in losing it even if I carry on eating this way ? I have heard you should eat small little meals throughout the day, but I cant force myself to eat if I''m not hungry. I also dont like carbs at all, dont llike pasta, rice, too much bread etc. I prefer protein (love meat !) Thanks for your time.

Dear Nic
If you do weigh 65 kg at the moment, then your present BMI = 24,8, which is still just within the normal range (18-25), but if you would like an ideal BMI of 22, then you would need to weigh 57 kg. Your estimate of needing to lose up to 7 kg, is, therefore, accurate if you would like to achieve an ideal BMI of 22. You are probably aware of the fact that your dietary intake is not ideal and that you should preferably be eating at least 3 balanced meals a day which can be primarily lean meat or fish with vegetables and fruits if you don't like carbs. You can use the energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet on this Website as an example. Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet. Reduce your wine intake too as alcohol has rather a high energy content. If you combine this type of diet with your proposed regular exercise then you should start losing and also tighten up slack muscles. Try doing some targeted exercises like sit-ups for your spare tyre as well as the brisk walking.

1

Dear Nic