Question
Posted by: felicity | 2011/08/20

pack aggression

Hi I have 5 Labradors and a Staffie (all neutered/spayed etc). My 11 year old lab has been epileptic since age 2 and seizures are fairly well controlled. My 4 year old Lab started 3 months ago and has had 3 seizures in 3 months and we are trying to get her meds to optimal level to reduce the number and severity of seizures. The problem I have that with every seizure of my 4 year old Lab the Staffie and two 15 month old Lab pups attack her while she''s seizing. The last episode resulted in 5 staples to her face, antibiotics and anti inflammatories. This morning was seizure number three which was definitely more severe and longer than previous and once again I have a mauled Lab (although wounds not as bad as previous) The minute I heard the commotion I ran to check and the Staffie ran away and hid and the Lab pups where licking her facial wounds. The vet wants to increase her dosage on meds which is fine but I am now paranoid about leaving the 6 dogs unsupervised (i work 7 days a week) and arriving home to a tramautised mauled animal again. They have never attacked the 11 year old male Lab? I am at the stage where I either try and rehome the Staffie and the 2 lab pups or have to build a seperate run where I can leave them (although currently this is not a financially viable option for me) The Staffie goes for her face and throat and the Lab pups go for her front legs when she''s down. Do I rehome or any suggestions which you could give would be hugely appreciated. I love all my animals but I connot alllow a sick dog to be attacked by its pack mates regularly.HELP!!

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Felicity, this really is a difficult one and the behaviour the dogs are engaging in is normal and always seems to happen when a dog seizes no matter how friendly they are at other times. I really dont know why, may be stress related or they see the seizure as weakness. Actually i think I will do some research into this subject - thanks!

Honestly what I would say is the only thing you can do is to keep the dogs seperate when you are not home and when home look for the signs that a seizure is forthcoming and seperate the dogs.

It could be that the seizures have increased due to the dogs stress levels.

Sorry i cant offer any more advice. Wishing you all the luck in the world and do let me know how it goes, thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/08/22

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert