Posted by: Oz | 2009-07-09

Ovulation - ttc with no success

Hi, I' m a 24 year old trying to concieve for over a year now. I have cycles ranging from 27 to 35 days. I' ve been for a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy and my gynae has indicated that everything is clear. I' ve done the cd21 progesterone test and it has come back low. My doc said that the reason is that I might be ovulating in some cycles and not ovulating in other or i might be ovulating too early or too late. Is there any way that I can know for certain if I' m ovulating each month? I know i can use OPK but I can' t afford OPK' s every month.

Dear Oz

Unfortunately your gynaecologist is correct in his assessment and the other methods of ovulation monitoring are a lot more inaccurate and crude and will be of little value in a practical sense. An alternative would be to institute ovulation induction therapy by means of fertility tablets together with the ovulation monitoring kits in a controlled cycle. Another option is ultrasound follicle tracking by means of 1 or 2 ultrasound scans which may well be covered by medical aids.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim