Posted by: Gillian | 2009-01-08

ovulation pain &  tiredness after birth

Dear GynaeDoc

In the past 3 years I have been pregnant twice, my daughter from the first pregnancy has just turned two and the 2nd pregnancy was terminated at 23 weeks when abnormalities were discovered. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism during the 2nd pregnancy and was prescribed Eltroxin, but blood tests now indicate that my thyroid is functioning normally. Since both pregnancies ended I have been experiencing pain and discomfort during ovulation, which didn' t occur before the pregnancies. I find it very hard to concentrate and could also sleep all day and I' ve noticed that my left hand twitches when I am tired. Could this be linked to a thyroid problem? I underwent fertility treatment to fall pregnant the first time and I used to notice my left hand twitching then, but now it only seems to happen when I' m tired. I' m 42, so could it also be an age thing?

I don' t want to go to visit my very expensive gynae if its nothing to worry about but I' m curious. It can also be fairly disabilitating.

The tiredness may be related to the thyroid problem. Cycles do change with time and the ovulation pain, if it lasts for 24 hours or so is normal. The twitching hand, I cannot explain.