Ovulation date on fertimed

I have been on two cycles of fertimed. The first time I took one table a day for 5 days starting on day three and did not ovulate. The second time the doc said I should take two for 7 days. starting on day 4. On CD 24 I ovulated which was determined by a blood test. I however got my mensus on Cd 32 which was 7 days after ovulation. I started again my mensus. Day 1 was yesterday. Dr said I can use clomid again starting on day 3 for 7 days (2 tablets a days) as I ovulated nicely the last time I was taking it like this. My question is - which days will I be ovlating? Again on CD 24? Any advise is highly appreciated. I have a 2 year old which was conceived without any assistance. I have PCOS and was on contraceptives before conceiving within three months after going of it.

Dear Anonymous

The use of Clomid for 7 days is rather unusual and the most common protocol is a 5 day course of Clomid which may be started anywhere between day 2 to day 5 of the cycle. The ovulation test on cycle day 24 is consistent with ovulation having occurred 7 days prior to that, which in your case would be approximately day 17 of your cycle. I would suggest that you monitor ovulation by means of the urine LH testing kits such as Clearplan starting from day 12 if your cycle. Alternately you may want to consider ultrasound follicle tracking, which involves a series of ultrasound vaginal scans to determine the rate of growth and number of follicles in each ovary towards the ovulation stage. This should be discussed with your gynaecologist. The blood test for ovulation is usually a progesterone level, which is a retrospective evaluation of ovulation and does not assist with the actual fertility process in a prospective manner. It is therefore more advisable to monitor ovulation using the ovulation prediction kits prior to ovulation so that intercourse maybe timed more appropriately.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim