Posted by: Kellz | 2010-01-30

Ovulation and conception after ectopic surgery

Hi. I just had surgery for an early ectopic pregnancy (no tube removed and no problems found such as endo). I had a D& C as well just for safety. I' ve been told I can start to try again as soon as two weeks after surgery. Is this right? Sounds a bit early. I suppose I' d need to wait until my period returns and take it from there. If I ovulated on the left in the month that I fell pregnant is there any way to now track which side is ovulating after the ectopic pregnancy? Does it matter?

Dear Kellz

The status of the remaining tube needs to be established and even though you had conservative surgery for your ectopic pregnancy, this does not imply that your tubes are absolutely normal. The side from which ovulation is likely to occur is irrelevant in this situation. My advice is to wait atleast one or two months after which I recommend a HSG (Hysterosalpingogram). This is an X-ray, which allows diagnosis of tubal patency. Quiet often even after conservative management of ectopics scar tissue may form and the tube may become obstructed. Furthermore the cause of the ectopic pregnancy, which affected the one tube, may be present in the other tube although in a sub-clinical form and this puts you at risk for another ectopic pregnancy. Therefore before attempting natural conception I would recommend a basic plan of investigation.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim

Posted by: Kellz | 2010-02-04

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. K.

Reply to Kellz