Question
Posted by: AN | 2011/10/18

Ovulation

i started having minimal brown discharge on Monday 10 Oct, had intercoarse on Thursday, then started having red blood (full period) on Friday 14 Oct. i am not sure from when to start counting day 1 of my cycle? Monday or Friday? how will i know when i am supposed to ovulate?

I am trying to conceive, have come of Yamin for 8 months now and nothing has happened yet.

I have had regular periods from coming of the pill, the regular 3 to 4 days, and my period has gone back to a 31 to 32 day cycle, as it was before i started on the Pill. i was on the pill for 9 years.

please help?

Dear AN

The brown discharge prior to the period is an indication of early bleeding in which the blood has not been released from the womb. When blood stands too long inside the uterine cavity it undergoes changes in color initially to dark red and subsequently to a brown or even black color. Hence, when calculating your first day of period you should regard the brown discharge as the first indication of bleeding and essentially as the first day of menstrual period. Quiet often the brown discharge may be the first signs of a type of endometriosis affecting the womb which is called adenomyosis. There may also in addition be other uterine pathology including the presence of fibroids or some form of obstruction to the outflow at the level of the cervix (mouth of the womb) which may require full investigations. I would suggest that you have yourself fully investigated by a gynaecologist or a fertility specialist and in particular a thorough internal pelvic ultrasound scan is recommended together with a full hormone profile.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/10/25

Dear AN

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert