Posted by: Judy | 2011-09-23

Dear Doc
When one has thick clear egg white discharge, does it mean ovulation was already or only starting? I had it on Monday, and my ovulation date (day 14) is only today. I had pain on my lower left side the whole of Yesterday. Pressume ovulation had taken place. My question is, does the discharge come before ovulation or after ovulation?
Thank you.

Dear Judy

The clear white or stringy type of discharge occurs usually during ovulation but may certainly occur just before and also slightly after ovulation has taken place. So it is not a predictor as to the exact day of ovulation but it does predict that ovulation is either about to take place or is taking place or has taken place.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo