Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2011/03/02

Ovulation

I am a 28 year old woman. My husband and I want to start trying for a family from next month.

I have been off the pill from last May and from then on we have only been using condoms. Since last May I have been writing down the dates of my periods so that I can get an indication of when I ovulate. According to my chart I have a 26 to 28 day cycle. My last menstruation started 16 February and according to my calculations I should be ovulating today. I bought an ovulation test from Clicks that has four tests in one packet. I have been using it since Saturday (27 February), but haven''t had a positive test. I used it in the morning, but read somewhere that it''s better to use it in the evening. So, last night I used one but it still showed negative. Yesterday morning I had a thick discharge that got sticky during the day, but this morning no discharge. Last month I had egg white discharge exactly when my calender showed I should be ovulating. I didn''t do ovulation tests then.

Am I ovulating? How would I know when to have sex in order to get pregnant? I am so scared that I won''t be able to get pregnant, because we really want a baby.

Please help, because I live in a rural area and can''t get to a doctor without travelling far.

Dear Desperate

If you are having difficulty in getting to a doctor which is the ideal situation to assess if ovulation is taking place despite a regular menstrual cycle and a negative urine LH test, I would suggest that you do a day-21 progesterone level to ascertain if ovulation is definitely taking place. If your progesterone on this particular day is high then ovulation is taking place and it is quite possible that the tests that you are using may be giving you a false negative result.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/03/09

Dear Desperate

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert