Question
Posted by: RR | 2010-09-13

Ovulation

Hi, we are trying to conceive but I am having trouble working out when I''m ovulating as my cycle is irregular. Since Jan my cycle has been the following (no. of days): 25, 26, 28, 29, 24, 27, 29, 28, 24. How do I work out when I''ll be ovulating when my cycle is so messed up?

Could you possibly tell me when my nest ovulation will be?

Thanks.

Dear RR

The best advise would be to start home ovulation monitoring using the urine LH testing strips, which are commercially available. You should start testing from about Day-8 or Day-9 of your cycle, counting the first day of bleeding as Day-1. The ovulation testing kits will detect ovulation 40 hours in advance before the release of the egg and in this way one can not only pre-empt ovulation but also time intercourse accordingly.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

2
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010-09-15

Dear RR

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: Xen | 2010-09-13

The best thing to do is visit your gynae or a fertility specialist and have ultrasounds to ascertain when you are ovulating. I had very irregular periods as well and it was a waste of time even trying the ovulation kits.

You may need to treat the underlying cause of your irregular cycles anyway, that is if there is a problem, so your best best would be to visit the fertility specialist.

Reply to Xen