Posted by: sam | 2009-01-08

Hi,Doc.My period is not coming on the same day like it used to since I ve done ovarian cysts operations.In October it started on the 20th,November the 18th and this month the 14th.Does this mean that Im not ovulating.What other medications can I use in order to ovulate.Can I use fertomid and staminagro?

Dear Sam

The best way of detecting ovulation is either by repeat ultrasound scanning or by means of the urine LH ovulation testing kits. Due to the shortened length of your cycle it may be necessary to start testing a day or 2 earlier i.e. from day 8 of your cycle and if no ovulation is detected then it may be worthwhile continuing with the ovulation monitoring for a total of 10 days. If after 2 cycles no ovulation has been confirmed then clearly ultrasound scanning might be the best way to verify this problem and the decision to use fertility tablets would be based on the results of the findings. Using the progesterone blood test in the mid-luteal phase i.e. between ovulation and menstruation, it is not recommended in your situation as a first line diagnostic test but may be considered if there is an urgency on your part to make the diagnosis. In such a case I would recommend that more than one progesterone blood test be taken in a particular cycle, starting perhaps on day 18 and then again on day 21.

Answered by: Dr. M. I. Cassim