Question
Posted by: Bonky | 2008/08/25

Ovulation

Good Day dr.

Question 1: My husband I have been trying to fall pregnant for the past 4 months. Although early days - I am concerned that after going off the Evra patch my cycle does not seem as regular as before going on the patch. I am sometimes even a week late btwn cycles. How could I accurately determine my ovulation dates? I currently use a " spit"  device which seems (?) to be accurate.
Question 2: We are considering going for the first set of fertility tests (not sure what you call these - female blood / male sperm?) to just check that everything is OK - we are both in our 30' s. Would you advise this?
Many thanks Dr.

Dear Bonky

The answer to your first question is that there are commercially available urinary testing devices to determine if ovulation is taking place. These devices are fairly accurate and can be used at and around the time of ovulation to determine exactly when ovulation is taking place. The answer to your second question is that you have only being trying for the last 4 months to fall pregnant. The diagnosis of infertility is the inability for a couple to conceive after 1 year of trying. My advise is that you are going a little bit too early for the first set of tests and you should rather wait a further 6-8 months and you may conceive on your own.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo

1
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/25

I' ve been on the Evra patch for 9 months now and all is going great.

I' m planning to fall pregnant (first time) I would just like to know approximately how long it takes to fall pregnant after going off the patch?

thanks