Question
Posted by: Melanie | 2009-09-11

Ovulation 20 day cycle

I would like to confirm if i will still have a 14 day lutual phase in my cycle, if my cycle is only 20 days, this means that I am ovulating on the day after my menstrual period(MP) ended? Can this be correct.

My son is turning 1 year old the end of the month, and we are trying for number 2. I got my first MP in May 09, then skipped 2 months, and then I had the following 3 cycles, 3 Aug 09, 24 Aug 09 and 11 Sep 09. This means that with the past 3, my average cycle days are 20 days.

Please advise, as I would like to understand this.

Many thanks

Dear Melanie

It is highly unlikely that your luteal phase is still 14 days. The earliest day of ovulation would be around about day-8 of your cycle and this will then require a cycle length of 22 days. It is more likely that you are experiencing what we would call a dysfunctional bleed and I would suggest that you see your obstetrician gynaecologist to have this problem sorted.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim