Posted by: Amanda | 2009-08-05

I have a weight propblem currently, and am not losing it.
About 4years ago i weighed almos 90kg. I then followe a health ydiet of vegetables and a small portion of protein 3 times a day, i left out of my diet ALL starches[ bread, rice, pasta a,d cereals.I had 5 provitas a day[ not at once...I had two at lunch and 2 with my evening meal wich I had at not later than 6 pm. I had three fruits a day and not more than one banana per week, i cut out using sugar as well.I have a problem with a polio leg that has osteo arthritus so i ca nnot excercise a lot. It took me 8 months on this wa yof eating to shed 32 kg.
I felt great and healthy.
THEN...Ifell and hurt my knee tore a legiment and now have not bee nwalking for the past year now, have bee nt osee a orthopedic surgeon, and it turns out I can not have a op to try and repair the legiment as I have vERY little muscle function in the polio leg and it appears that not one of my other legiments are either i n working order any longer. To cut long story short...
I have picked up a lot of weight over the past year, and am standing on a whole 74kg now! where a year back a weighed 58kg. I am using the same diet i used before that I lost s omuch weight on but am not losing it. Dr says it is because i cant get excercise. He prescribed me a diet tablet tha ti had t ouse for 3 months. and in that three months i only lost 6kg. I have very good control over my appetite without any suppressant, but do not lose ANY weight anymore! I heard tha there is some sort of diet tablet on the market that actually helps to get rid of the fat via urine or bowel movement and that this med. costs something in the range of R600 or R700 . I consulted with my Dr and asked about it but he says there is nO quick way to lose the weight. And that i know...but what do i do if the slow way is not working at all! do you perhaps have any possible advice on as to how I can get t olose weight that i desperately need t olose now before it gets much worse. i have see na dietician and the way i am eating id nothing wrong with. i would also like to know if there is such a product on the market and if you think that i am possibly a candidate to use it? I am other than the overweight and the huge leg problem tha tcan not be solved...a healthy person, but fee lvery tired lately and think it is because of the xtra weight i have. i used to use blood pressure meds a few ayears ago when i was obese, but since the weight loss it went so well that Dr took me off my blood pressure meds.
thnk you for your time reading this long letter.

Hallo Amanda
I understand your concern. I think you are thinking of something like Orlistat or Reductil - which binds with fat in the gut and excretes it without you absorbing it. However, I don't think you eat a high fat diet, so it will probably not be worth the money. Have you considered doing water aerobics? This will take the stress of your legs and help you to use energy with your upper body. You can also use a upper body cycle that you work with your arms while sitting down - a biokineticist will probably be the best person to contact for alternative exercise programs. Just also check your thyroid function and your fasting insulin levels to exclude an underactive thyroid or insulin resistance.