Question
Posted by: concerned mom | 2011/06/23

Overweight toddler

My daughter has just turned% and weighs 35kgs. She loves her food and eats all the time. Please can u help in this matter as i do not know what to do, she is quit tall for her age. She is 1.2m already. please advise.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Concerned Mom,
I assume that your daughter is 5, as your question mistyped her age. However, as 35 kilograms and being 1.20 m tall, she is slightly overweight. I would not panic at this point, but do suggest that you consult alone with a dietician and gather some advice on how to encourage healthy eating habits and moderate exercise for your daughter. You need to consider a number of factors that might account for your daughter's current weight. Is there a possible genetic factor, or might it be a temporary growth feature. It's hard to tell. However, your first port of call would be to look at healthy lifestyle. Please do not place your daughter on a fad diet, as this is a culture that she needs to try and avoid altogether.
Regards,
Graham

1
Posted by: Eating disorders and Obesity Expert | 2011/06/27

Hi Concerned Mom,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating disorders and Obesity Expert