Question
Posted by: Ali | 2008/07/28

Overweight toddler

My daughter is 23 months old, 94cm tall en weighs 16.7kg. Birth weight 2.995kg. She has gained 1kg in the last month. She is taller and a lot heavier than all her friends (most of them weighing 12kg). Should I take her to a paeditritian? Or maybe a dietitian? Or am I over sensitive about her weight? Her weight graph is now climbing rapidly and over the suggested curve. I would appreciate your advise.

Dear Ali
You are not being oversensitive about your daughter's weight. Your lassie is already heavier and taller than children of 3 years (average weight 13 kg and height 90 cm), so I would recommend that you first take her to a Paediatrician to have her assessed and to determine if there is an underlying problem. If she is given a clean bill of health then do take her to a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because the dietitian will have to work out a diet for her that helps her to lose weight, but still contains all the nutrients she needs to grow properly. Also encourage her to be as active as possible - take her for walks, teach her how to skip and let her play games or go for swimming lessons - anything to get her moving and using up some energy. International experts agree that physical activity is one of the most important factors in helping young children to lose weight.