Question
Posted by: Holly | 2010-08-22

Overweight son

7yr overweight son. Who can I go to help him? He enjoys exercise but it is painful

Hi Holly

He should be playing sports at school, that would be the best option, not only for health but also his social interaction - I believe sport teaches children a great deal.

In terms of supervised exercise, one has to be careful, because young children don't thrive under too much structure when it comes to exercise - the goal should be fun, so I'm not sure if you might have access to a kids exercise class - they have one at Sports Science Institute in Cape Town, but I don't know the rest of the country. Like I say, the only goal is enjoyment, and that's why if he can play sports, he'll exercise without training, he'll be playing.

And then finally, diet is more important than exercise. And it would be a very good investment to look at his diet, and perhaps the rest of the family's, to ensure that he is eating well and in the right amounts.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-08-27

Hi Holly

Reply to fitnessdoc