Question
Posted by: Tammy | 2009-07-17

Overweight Sister

Hi, My sister is 17 years old and extremely overweight. She is about 1.7m tall and I' m not sure what she weighs, it is over 95kg. She takes about a size 48 pants. I can see how it effects her overall confidence and I have tried to help her lose the weight. Together we went to a dietician and she did very well in the begginning but after about 2 months she gave up. I no longer live in JHB with her, I have moved to DBN so I am unable to take her to the dietician anymore. I try and give her tips, cause I am on a diet myself and doing very well, but she doesnt seem to put in the effort to lose the weight. Any ideas on how I can motivate her.

Dear Tammy
The problem is that your sister is the only person on earth who can take the decision that she wants to lose weight and then stick to her weightloss regimen. You can try talking to her to motivate her and also suggest that if she cannot motivate herself that she should firstly return to her dietitian or that she can try using self-motivation tapes from like Innertalk. She can contact Innertalk at www.innertalk.com or www.motivators.co.za for motivational tapes to get her going on the diet and the exercise again.