Question

Overweight Quadriplegic

I''ve been a incomplete quad since ''99. Altough I try my best I cannot seem to loose weight, but I''m slowly gaining. I''m 1,68m (when I measured myself before my accident) and weighing in at a wopping 110kg. I feel like a beached whale stuck in a wheelchair and very aware of myself. Needless to say my self esteem has taken a heavy knock and I feel extremely depressed. I am on anti-depressants but the fact that I struggle with my weight and not capable of exercising, makes me feel hopeless. I suffer from very high blood pressure due to this but my cholestrol and sugar levels are fine. Do I qualify for any gastric bypass or anything like that, and if so, will my medical aid pay for this. I live in pretoria.(Ps. I''m a woman)

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Anon,
Thanks for your question. If you still weight 110kg, you almost fall into the morbidly obese weight category, which is the weight minimum required to qualify for bariatric surgery. However, with a Body Mass Index between 35 and 40 (99 kilograms and 112 kilograms for your height), you would still qualify because of your hypertention, a medical complication associated with your weight condition. If you are looking to qualify for surgery through a Centre of Excellence (which I strongly recommend), then you will also need to qualify on a number of other domains, including your depression being stabilized. It's fine that you are on an antidepressant, provided your mood is relatively stable and your psychological health is good. If you become a candidate for surgery, your pre-surgical work-up will likely require you to address your mood state associated with your weight condition and life circumstances. Being a quad will not disqualify you. I duggest you go to the Chrysalis Clinic website and ask for Sr. Gill Gibson, the programme coordinator. The website is chrysalisclinic.co.za. If you are not living in Cape Town, Chrysalis Clinic can always recommend you to another reputable centre closer to you. If you cannot get hold of Gill for some reason, email me (graalex@iafrica.com)and I will give you her direct landline and cell number. Good luck.
Regards,
Graham

1
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010/10/06

Hi Anon,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert