Question
Posted by: Tersia | 2011/01/20

Overweight - Personal and convidential please

Hi i am 40 years old, weighs 95kg and height 1.6m, I am not able to stay on a diet and can not complete a diet. There is so many different things. I must be truthfull, I alway ask myself what is the right question to ask regarding why I want to lose weight?, I do not know why. I know I dont look good and it is not healthy to be overweight, but shy do I want to lose weight I dont know. Everybody tell''s me i need to lose weight, I tried but everytime I gain the weight again, maybe I am only looking for an excuse to not go on a diet. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Tersia
Your present BMI = 37,1 which is very high (in the obese category). Just to get back to a BMI of 30 (overweight category) you need to lose 19 kg which is a great deal of weight to lose. However, if you are shying away from losing weight for some reason, which may possibly be psychological, then it may be a good idea to first consult a clinical psychologist to help you determine why you don't want to stick to a diet and start exercising. You could be 'hiding' behind being overweight for a variety of reasons. Ask your gp to refer you to a clinical psychologist so that you can change your mindset, otherwise all attempts at dieting and doing exercise are doomed to failure. If you can remove this block to losing weight, then you can try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise such as going for walks or swimming for 30 min a day. Start gradually and then increase how much you exercise as you lose weight and become more mobile.

1

Dear Tersia