Question
Posted by: Samantha | 2010/04/19

Overweight male cat

Good day

My youngest male cat has been neutered about 4 years ago and since then his weight has been fluctuating during the winter and somer times....during winter he picks up alot of weight and during somer he loses it again. But this past summer he did not shed all the previous winter weight and now he is picking up weight in no time at all. I feed him Purina One Senior pet pellets, because he and the other two aren''t very active. My question is, could he have a hormone problem? He rarely eats food from the table and only gets pellets through the day and the rare occation I will give him a piece of cooked chicken. This Sunday, I made roast chicken and did not give any of my cats some of it. He attacked my older cat and they really had a tiff under the dining room table. I picked him up and gave him a little bit of chicken and all was over. He even slept next to the cat that he had fighted just a few hours ago. What can it be that causes his extreme weight gain? And aggressive behaviour? Does it have anything to do with the fact that he is a " true"  ginger?

Dear Samantha

Only eating pellets throughout the day will make any cat fat. You need to feed him twice daily at the recommended rate for losing weight.

1
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/04/20

Dear Samantha

Reply to Cybervet