Question
Posted by: Luani Venter | 2011/04/07

Overweight kids

Good day,
My son is 9 years old and is overweight. We eat healthy but because of his weight problem he finds it hard to do excercise like jogging etc. He was the world champ in kickboxing when he was four. We moved to another city when he was 7, unfortunately there was no kickboxing. That is when he just put on weight. I now he is still growing. Is there maybe a diet for kids that I can try with a healthy excercise program for kids?
I would appreciate your feedback.
Regards,
Luani Venter

Dear Luani
From what you say, it is evident that your son needs to do daily exercise of some kind that he is presently able to do, to keep his weight in check and to promote weightloss. If he can't jog right now, then I would suggest that you accompany him on walks if possible every day for at least 30 minutes. Let him start slowly and as he gets fitter, encourage him to walk faster and further. Once he is losing weight and has regained his fitness, he can also start skipping. These exercises are easy to do, do not cost a lot of money and can usually be done in the home setting. International experts the world over agree that in young children, like your 9-year-old son, exercise is a better method of reducing weight than to put the child on a strict diet. The reasons for this include the fact that young children are growing a great deal and need vital nutrients to help them grow normally and the finding that an over-emphasis on dieting can cause eating disorders. If your son is severely overweight, then I would urge you to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because the dietitian will have to work out an individual diet prescription for him which takes his growth requirements into account, but also assists with weightloss.
Holding thumbs that you lad can get back his fitness and be a champ again.

1

Dear Luani