Posted by: nicky | 2009-08-17

overweight exercise programme

I am 34. unfit and overweight. I haven' t exercised in years.I belong to a gym but just the 10 min it takes to walk there makes me tired. When I' m there I' m too unfit to even break out into a sweat...
I really want to feel good about myself again. My normal weith is 60 but I' m 75 now! I' ve gone from size 34 to 40 in only 2 years. How can I start without getting chest pains....

Hi Nicky

Don't rush it, just the fact that you're starting out is great. If you get tired after 10 minutes of walking, then I say walk 10 minutes until you get fit enough to handle it and then build it up from there. There's no rush, and there is no need to drill yourself into doing 45 minutes a day.

In terms of a programme, my advice would be to check out the programmes on the Health 24 fitness page.

Click on "Fitness", then on 'Programmes' and choose one of these training programmes. My advice would be to choose the walking or running programmes (the first or second one) and then go for them. Also look through the Fitness section, because there is a loads of useful information there that will help you. Bascially, what you need to aim for regular exercise, and be consistent.

As far as exercise goes, it is the cardio training, like cycling, running, stepping, aerobics, walking etc. that is most helpful in losing weight. All these activities cause heart rate to go up, and are increasing your body's metabolic rate, which ultimately causes you to lose weight by burning more fat (again, assuming you are also eating well). So I would say you should continue with what you are doing, keep focused on the cardio. I think that 4 times a week is the minimum you should aim to exercise, five is probably the ideal number, but four is fine too. The intensity you train is also very important. A lot of times, people train a little too easy, perhaps. I am not saying you should go out and push super hard and exhaust yourself every day, but stepping up the intensity once or twice a week is certainly a good thing. You should aim for a total of 45 minutes or so (anything between 30 and 50 minutes is a good average), and you should finish each session feeling tired, but not exhausted. However, like I said earlier, don't force this - start by doing what you can do, and then work your way up to this as a target. Those programmes will help you.

If you do that, and you eat well, then you should lose weight.

Posted by: Telly | 2009-08-22

Hi Nicky,
I also want to loose minimum 10kg, I joined a gym, and within 1 week never went back agian. I was bored stiff. I have asked a friend of mine to just start walking with me, not jog, not run, just walk. I have done it for a week now, and i already feel better. Have maybe lost 1kg, i am eating healthy as well, but overall just feel better. I have relised that doing a little at a time, is more than what i was doing before. i have enrolled to start dancing as well, that is my passion, and i feel doing something that i enjoy, instead of it being a punishment, i will get the results that i want.
I hope you come right, summer is on its way, so keep your head up.

Reply to Telly