Question
Posted by: Van | 2008/09/18

Overweight child

I have a 7 year old Daschund. she weights 9kgs.
She has been through alot in her life time, was attacked by another dog, survived, had a back op and survived, had parvo virus and survived.

I had her fixed years ago and since then she picked up weight.
She is on Royal Canin Daschund food, I feed her the recommended amount split into morning and evening. the evening food is mixed with 2 table spoons of Pedigree sachet.
My mother then adds 4-6 small cubes of chicken.

I am worried about my childs weight and life expectancy due to it.
How can I get her weight down?

Dear Van

Do you have problems with a fat child or your dog? This is a animal forum.

Feeding lots = fat, feeding less = thinner. What answer did you expect here? That there is a dog formula of USN that turn fat into muscle?

8
Posted by: Chill | 2008/09/19

As usual, WR - spot on.

My dogs are a serious priority in my life, and they get the best care I can possibly give them - but they are DOGS, not children. I am uncomfortable with this whole ' my dogs are my children'  stuff... they are not, and nor do they want to be.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: felicity | 2008/09/19

Why not put her on the Royal Canin Mini Light as she won' t feel " hungry"  on it and at the same time she will get in less calories but not less food!

Reply to felicity
Posted by: WR | 2008/09/19

Dogs are NOT humans, and should be treated as animals.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Anon#2 | 2008/09/19

Cybervet probably became a vet by studying animal medicine for years - perhaps he has a different sense of humour to yours? He also gave you the same advice as the others - feed the dog less.

Why do so many people immediately ' default'  to the offended setting? Grow a little skin and a little tolerance.

Reply to Anon#2
Posted by: Van | 2008/09/19

Correct - I do regard my dog as my child.

Maybe if you could read, I specified that she is a Daschund.
Wonder how the hell you became a vet!

Thanks to everybody else for the advice!

Reply to Van
Posted by: Shoo | 2008/09/19

Hey Cybervet, that was a rather abrupt answer. Van' s only seeking some advice and obviously regards his/her dog as their child, as do most people.

Reply to Shoo
Posted by: WR | 2008/09/18

Ps  The ' recommended amount'  is only a GUIDEline.
Dachsies should eb on the leaner side because of their back issues... and seeing that your had an op already - you should make work of this ASAP!

Only feed the dry food. Stop the Pedigree and the Chicken.
Give her 10% less dry food a day. Thus, if you' re feeding 100grams a day, feed her 90grams - 45grams morning, 45grams evening.

No treats, no extras. JUST the Royal Canin Dachshund Food.

Reply to WR
Posted by: WR | 2008/09/18

Feed her less food.

Reply to WR