Question
Posted by: GS | 2011/01/27

Overweight, cellulitis and lymphodemia

I could use some advise or refferals. I am 41 and heavily overweight. I got cellulitis in my right leg last year and was hospitalised. This has been treated but my leg is still swollen double is size months later. I went to see a specialist yesterday and they diagnosed me with lymphodemia. There is no cure. How do get my weight down if I cant exercise or put pressure on my leg? I cant afford a dietician and really want to loose weight and get healthy this year. Any advice or doctor referrals please.

Dear GS
If you can't afford a dietitian and need to lose weight urgently because of the lymphoedema, you can try an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). In regard to the problem of not being able to do normal exercise because of your poor leg, please ask the dr who is treating you if you are allowed to swim. If the dr gives permission try to find a swimming pool near you (a kind neighbour) or a municipal pool where you can start swimming (this should not put any pressure on your leg) and then gradually increase how long you swim.
Holding thumbs for you

1

Dear GS
Holding thumbs for you