Posted by: mommy | 2009-08-11

Overweight cats

Dear Cybervet

I own 3 cats - 1 male 2 female, all fixed. The male and oldest female were adopted from a shelter as kittens. The youngest female was adopted privately from my vet.
The male and older female are overweight with flabby bellies swinging from side to side when walking and running. I have now noticed the youngest starting to gain weight.
They have always been fed Iams pellets and whenIi noticed the weight gain on the older two I started giving all three Iams light pellets, but they are still picking up weight.
Do you think it could be that they are eating one of the neighbours'  pets'  food or perhaps being fed by a neighbour? I cannot understand why they continue to gain weight despite being on diet food.

All 3 are regularly dewormed and have Frontline treatment every month and the vet has given them all a clean bill of health (except for the increasing weight).

They have access to out doors 24/7 and spend a lot of time in the garden, climbing trees, stalking insects, etc. So I don' t know how to get them to be any more active.

Any advice will be appreciated, I want them to stay healthy and get their weight under control before it contributes to a more serious health problem.

Thank you!

Dear Mommy

Go to your vet and start this Hills r/d.