Posted by: Kato | 2008-11-25

Overweight baby - I need feeding chart!

My baby girl is 7 months and she weighs 13kg! She is definitely overweight according to the growth charts. I am feeding her 4 bottles of 175ml each Lactogen, and started introducing solids about a month ago - a few teaspoons of cereal in the morning and about half a small jar of purity veg in the afternoon.

How can I reduce her weight safely? Also, where can I find a good feeding chart which tells me what she should be eating at this age?

Dear Kato
Your baby is most certainly very overweight because she already weighs as much as a 3 year-old child. If possible, please have your baby examined by a medical dr, preferably a Paediatrician, to see if she has an underlying condition such as diabetes. At this stage of your baby's life she should be having 150 ml of milk or formula per kg body weight per day. The normal weight for infants aged 7 months is about 7 kg, so she should drink 7 x 150 ml = 1050 ml, which is actually more than your baby drinks (700 ml/day). This is why I suspect that she may be suffering from a condition that makes her gain so much weight and why I would urge you to consult a dr as soon as possible. At the age of 7 months, babies should have about 1 litre of milk or formula, plus 1-2 teaspoons of a baby cereal and 2-4 teaspoons of pureed vegetables (give at 2 meals) per day.
Pease have your little one examined so that we can find out what is causing her to gain so much weight.
Holding thumbs for both of you